Local government’s internal documents that determine the ability to achieve community priorities through planned and managed services, assets, finances and people.
To determine the local government’s ability to deliver prioritised community requirements that it is responsible for so that a deliverable Corporate Business Plan can be achieved.
Informing Strategies are managed separately to the Corporate Business Plan to allow for and assist with longer term planning. This will also give local governments the opportunity to explore options and pursue innovative solutions. It can include investigating lease options as opposed to purchasing, volunteer arrangements, shared arrangements etc.
Roles and Responsibilities
Administration - leads the process in the preparation of the strategies after taking into consideration all key inputs and influences.
Council - many approve some but not all Informing Strategies. e.g. Resource Specific Informing Strategies.
- Assets 10+ years.
- Financial 10+ years.
- Workforce 4+ years.
- To be determined by Asset Management Framework - must address existing and proposed asset base, whole of life costing, service levels and renewal funding gap, and is a major input to development of the Financial Plan.
- Income and Expenditure projections, balance sheet and cash flow statement.
- Revenue Planning (rates, borrowing, commercial, investments, fees and charges and grants - must be based on sound borrowing principles and practices).
- Sensitivity analysis.
- Scenario modelling.
- Financial performance monitoring (that addresses the National Frameworks as a minimum).
- Current workforce capacity and capability.
- Required workforce capacity and capability to deliver the Corporate Business Plan.
- Strategies to address the identified gaps in capacity and capability.
- Processes to inform community planning of resourcing capability.
- Processes to test the ability to deliver the Local Government Strategic Priorities component prior to adoption.
- Processes to integrate with the Corporate Business Plan.
- Internal learning and development processes to enhance organisational capability.
- Resourcing will be updated at least annually as part of the review of the Corporate Business Plan or earlier as changes in the external environment occur and alternative resourcing options are explored.
Outputs and Interdependencies
- Asset Management Strategy.
- Finance Strategy.
- Workforce Strategy.
- Issue Specific Strategies.
- Strategic Community Plan
- Corporate Business Plan.